Waste NDC Program
The Support for NDC Implementation in the Waste Management Sector in Senegal and Cote d’Ivoire project funded by the Government of Canada through Environment and Climate Change Canada aims to assist Cote d’Ivoire and Senegal implement their Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) in the waste sector, through the support of the development of policy measures and capacity building to facilitate emission reduction in the waste sector.
The project comprises four components:
- Component 1: Strengthen policies framework to reduce GHGs and Short-Lived Climate Pollutants (SLCPs) in municipal solid waste sector
The objective of this component is to provide countries with political and regulatory instruments (standards) for a proper production of compost and biogas while respecting the environment. The development of standards documents will be done with the support of research teams on composting and anaerobic digestion. Component 1 has 5 sub-activities:
- Activity 1.1. Review the National integrated and sustainable solid waste strategy in Senegal
- Activity 1.2. Review the National Biogas policy in both countries
- Activity 1.3. Review the National Compost policy in both countries
- Activity 1.4. Review the National Waste Management Law in Senegal
- Activity 1.5. Review the guidelines and standards for compost and biogas for both countries
2. Component 2: Enhance technical and operational capacity for data monitoring, reporting and verification in the waste sector
The objective of this component is to train waste pickers on dumpsites, in collaboration with NGOs and other specialized institutions in the area, to convert the waste into composting and biogas. Experts on GHG inventories in the waste sector will be trained on appropriate methodologies for GHG emission calculation, including black carbon. This component comprises of four sub-activities:
- Activity 2.1: Train stakeholders on composting and biogas techniques, from theory to practice and financing development;
- Activity 2.2: Train experts on GHG and black carbon emission inventory
- Activity 2.3: Train NDC experts on Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) architecture development
- Activity 2.4: Develop a National MRV architecture focusing on waste sector in Senegal
3. Component 3: Provide technical assistance to countries in the installation and running of the biogas and compost plant
This component seeks to pilot projects that will serve as a demonstration of the application of the policies, standards and technical trainings provided in components 1 and 2. To this end, feasibility studies will be conducted (site to be determined if this is a new facility) in each country.
Component 3 comprises 2 sub-activities:
- Activity 3.1: Assist countries in the installation of biogas and compost plants in both countries
- Activity 3.2: Conduct a commercial feasibility study of compost and biogas
4. Component 4: Coordination, Reporting and Experiences sharing
This component seeks to facilitate the overall project implementation led by UNEP and support the dissemination of the project findings.
Component 4 has 2 sub-activities:
- Organise one sub-regional workshop to share experiences with French speaking countries in West Africa
- Acquire project management software for the entire project to support project implementation by the UNEP
UNEP Africa Office partnered with SEI Africa Centre to implement the UNEP NDC Waste project in Senegal and Cote d’Ivoire between June 2018 and February 2021. The project was implemented in partnership with the Solid Waste Management Coordination Unit in Senegal and with the Climate Change Directorate under the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development in Cote d’Ivoire. The project was funded by the Government of Canada through Environment and Climate Change Canada.